Thursday, March 20, 2008

Please pray for my daddy.

The following is a blog that was shared with me. It was written by Kelli Packer. She is the daughter of Jim and Sharon Riley. They are a couple that we have gotten to know since we moved here. They are very special people. So here it is:

THE GEM I ALMOST FORGOT

It amazes me that I could put off posting this experience. Sometimes a child can change your prespective with a simple phrase.
We had just sat down to a dinner at my parent's house in Joshua Tree, Ca. Seated at the corner next to Dad's left elbow was our guest, a busy, 3 year old, little girl, Madi (Madie). Her mom was at a church meeting and her dad is in Iraq. She seemed quite at home and I know my parents have thoroughly enjoyed getting to know their sweet family, happy to be a support in any way they can, probably even more so because of Dad's service in the Airforce.
From the minute she walked in the door, I noticed that she had my mom hopping to keep up with her. Into the candy, needing to go potty, looking for toys. I am afraid I hadn't taken the time, yet, to get to know her as I was distracted by my little nephew. I was totally unprepared for what this small being would soon teach me.
She was quiet as my dad began to offer a prayer over the meal. Then we heard a little mumble from her. Most of us, at that point, assumed she was mimicking my dad's words. You know how little kids sometimes try to pray at the same time as the adult? We listened more closely. "Please," she spoke up this time. "Please pray for my daddy." It was a matter of fact, simple request. Dad stopped mid sentence, then, began to pray specifically and at length for Luke, Madie's daddy.
In an instant it was more than prayer, more than one little girl, more than just Luke.
She was, in my mind and heart, representing each little child who's parent is gone overseas, serving in the military, to do the job they committed to do. They see it simply. Please keep my Dad/Mom safe. And why shouldn't they expect each of us to keep them in our prayers as well?
Thank you Madie. I will. Promise.


Thank you Kelli for reminding us of the power of a child's prayer.

3 comments:

Eliza said...

That is so sweet. We often remember Madie's Daddy in our prayers and will continue to do so.

Leasa said...

That was so great! Thank you for sharing. It is so sad that we often times go about our lives failing to remember all the wonderful people who fight for the incredible freedoms that we all enjoy. We love you guys and are praying for Luke as well as you and the kids.

Tam said...

That was a really nice post - thank you for sharing it. I know my four year old reminds me on a daily basis of who I want and should be. We will pray for Luke and hope he will be home soon.